Monday, February 13, 2017

Mom, Mom, Mom...

Mom... The word that I longed for someone to say for the last 8 years of my life. I begged and pleaded and made a vow that I would never take that word for granted and would love it every time I heard it. 

Well, I am a big fat liar. I think I was trying to convince myself that it wouldn't be the most annoying thing I have ever heard in my life. I wanted to believe that every time I heard it I would blissfully turn toward my child and say oh how I love that word... I lied.


With the joys of motherhood ( and believe me I love being a mom) comes this thing that you hear every mother say but you don't want to believe it's true. That the word mom comes out of your child at least 5,398 times every hour. And the one time you hear the word dad, is usually followed up by "wheres Mom?" 

Hearing the word Mom sometimes reminds me of the moment on our wedding day that my new husband and I had just sat down for dinner. A few people in the crowd would tap their glass to signal us to kiss. Awe, so sweet, They would tap, we would kiss, they would tap, we would kiss. Then after about the 10th time, I shot my mom the death look that signaled her to politely ask people to quit being so damn annoying. Now, my kids get that same death look after about the 5th time in a row they say my name. 

Rose has the uncanny ability to say my name 43 times in one sentence. "Mom, Mom, Mom" at this point I have said what 3 times and I am staring strait at her, "Mom, I really want to have chocolate, Mom, can I have chocolate right now Mom please?" I mean seriously, you just said mom 6 times after I said what and I am looking directly at you. Why do you feel the need for every other word out of your mouth to be mom?  I have literally sat down with her and discussed how to say a proper sentence while only using the word mom one time. I had her repeat after me, Me:"Mom, can i go outside to play". Now repeat, Rose: "Mom, can I go out and play? But mom that sounds so funny mom, why would I say that when I don't want to go outside, you're funny Mom." *Insert face palm.


We have also had extensive conversations about the other adult in the house by the name of Daddy. He is actually a person that can help answer questions and get things for you. He does exist. He is not just there to tell you where I am. He has the ability to make decisions, just as I do. About 10 minutes after this very lengthy conversation about Daddy, I am in the bathroom and I hear Bobby knock on the door and say, "Mom, I asked Dad if I could go out and play and he said yes, OK Mom?" *Insert another face palm. Maybe one day I will miss the days of hearing the word mom every other second, but today is not that day. So I guess my point is, be careful what you ask for, because you just may get it!



No comments:

Post a Comment